Thursday, June 4, 2015

Dhafer's - Dexter, MO

Date of dining experience: June 4, 2015

Place: Dhafer's Mediterranean Steakhouse

Location: 117 S. Locust St. in Dexter, MO

Bread: Perfect, fresh, warm rolls straight to your table from the oven. Always a delight.

Appetizer: Caprese Salad - slices of tomato, fresh mozzarella, and basil leaves with a balsamic drizzle over everything. This was my first time having this dish, and all I could say was WOW! Eating a piece of a roll between bites will help prepare your mouth for the wonderful flavor explosion all over again with each taste! (around $8)

Entree: Tuna - prepared rare with choice of potato and a vegetable (usually green beans). I always order roasted reds as my potato because Dhafer prepares them very well with a flavorful lemon sauce. I had the green beans tonight, which are also perfectly prepared with a great flavor, but I sometimes like to mix things up and order broccoli instead. The tuna can technically be cooked however you wish, but for the best flavor you want it to be rare. Dhafer tops his tuna with a balsamic glaze and wasabi seeds, adding to the flavor in the best possible way. I can boldly say, without hesitation, that Dhafer prepares the best tuna I have ever eaten. ($17)

White wine with appetizer: Pinot Grigio (2 glasses at $4 each) with appetizer and roasted red potatoes with lemon sauce. Though both varieties of Chardonnay they offer are great, I wanted something a little lighter to start my meal. The Pinot Grigio is very aromatic and has a lovely taste.

Red wine with entree: Merlot (1 glass at $4) with the green beans and tuna. A dry red will always bring out the bold flavors of tuna, wasabi seeds, and anything with a balsamic glaze (or any kind of steak if that's what you're having). The Cabernet Sauvignon they offer is also good, but I can't wait to try the tuna with the Pinot Noir they are adding to the wine list.

The service is wonderful every time I go to Dhafer's. Christina is one of the best servers south of St. Louis, and definitely the best I've ever had anywhere in Dexter. The atmosphere is also delightful. Dhafer's has just reopened after renovations and looks amazing. They offer a great fine dining experience with amazing prices for the quality of food and service received. And the music is never overbearing, whether from the speakers or live.

Along with the renovations, new items were added to the regular menu. Let me tell you, some of them are more than fantastic. They are also in the process of revamping their wine and beer list. When it is finished you will always be able to find the perfect beverage to accompany your meal.

I truly believe that Dhafer's is the best restaurant in the area, not just the best in Dexter. If I had to make a list of my Top 10 favorite restaurants on the eastern half of Missouri south of St. Louis, Dhafer's would come in at #2. (The #1 spot would be held by the fine dining restaurant Celebrations in Cape Girardeau, MO.)

After he prepares your food, Dhafer (owner and chef) comes around and personally makes sure that everything is perfect. Dhafer's wife Melissa makes all of the desserts, and none of them are short of delicious! With a cup of coffee paired with amazing items like peanut butter pie (my favorite), you can always end your meal with a smile.

Though Lambert's in Sikeston, MO or Strawberry's in Holcomb, MO are pretty good if you are in the mood for the kinds of food they offer, I think Dhafer's is the restaurant in southeast MO that people should be driving long distances to experience.

Try it out for yourself and let me know what you think! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment